BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition is one of the most effective free antiviruses at the moment. It gained the third position in our top ten of the best free antiviruses. BitDefender (Softwin) is a Romanian security software producer, with a large list of programs launched on the market. This free version of BitDefender is the latest free security product launched by Softwin.
The paid version of this antivirus is BitDefender antivirus 2011, a top ranked paid antivirus. We tested for this review the free version of this software and we are certainly impressed. The installation package can be downloaded for free, directly from the producer’s page. The installation kit is lightweight and the installation process is fast and easy to perform.
BitDefender Free Edition offers the classical setup for an antivirus. The package includes the essential protection elements against virus infiltrations. The software is very easy to use and can be installed on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 machines. If you are a Linux user, you can try a free version of BitDefender, projected to work on Linux Systems.
The most important features of BitDefender Free Edition are:
- Antivirus protection – the antivirus module of BitDefender is one of the most powerful and effecient product on the market. The scanning engine is able to detect a large amount of viruses, that are then classified and kept in its frequently updated database. The scanning engine passed a lot of anti-virus tests performed by the best independent laboratories like Virus Bulletin, ICSA Labs or Checkmark Laboratory. The results are impressive.
- Antispyware module – the latest version of BitDefender Free Edition includes in its protection package a powerful antispyware module able to detect almost any spyware infiltrations. The detection is based exclusively on signatures on condition that you keep the software permanently updated.
- Privacy Protection – this feature was introduced in the free version of BitDefender and offers very good protection. This module is able to scan the SMTP traffic (Outgoing and incoming) and monitor HTTP connections in real time. This way, BitDefender offers good protection against the stealing of private data via Internet or network connection.
- Proactive Detection – one of the most advanced features of BitDEfender is called B-Have and it’s a new type of antivirus detection based of heuristic analysis. According to it, a new virus, still unknown and nonexistent in the virus signatures database, can be detected.
- Rootkit Detection capabilities and powerful Removal tool – in the free package provided by BitDefender in its freeware antivirus, the producer has included a good Rootkit detection module, with proven effectiveness.
These updates are automatic and very often, done with a good response time. You can change the default configuration but we advice you to run the updates on automatic mode. If you change this setting to manual mode, you may forget about the updater and, this way, the computer protection may get weak in time.
BitDefender Free Edition is a very good choice for a powerful antivirus package, with simple menus and almost no customization. Just install it and you’ll see that BitDefender will protect you against viruses.